- You and I:
- Introduction. This book is centered on you, the specific reader that you are aware is currently reading. I am the one writing.
- SELF. For now, focus on applying these words to your actual SELF, and determining exactly what or who that is.
- PRI. Identify and own your PRIs before you die.
- PPL. You are not all the other imagined readers. Perhaps they are PPL. You will be too, but not yet.
- BET. First you’ll BET about who you (think you) are, until you get sick of losing.
- Education. At that point you should become a STUDENT of better methods.
- WORDs. As a STUDENT you’ll simulate methods efficiently with WORDs.
- Revision. You want an answer to the same questions (below) as the rest. [Revise][Revisions] your WORDs until they are uniquely you.
- COMM. Then you may contextualize and communicate who you are among PPL.
- Until then, you and I and they are all the same.
- You. How am I and what do I need?
- Self. What must I do to have it?
- Priorities. What actions maximize my life?
- Others. What are people?
- Bet. How do I take action?
- Learn. How do I figure out a better plan for my life?
- Words. What are they good for?
- Revision. What would my life look like on paper?
- Communication. How do I relate to or help others?
- A book with defined terms is a book for humans.
- The following list describes the critical concepts that this book deals with and by impliciation, what it does not deal with.
- After each definition is a link to its primary context in the book.
- Note that there may be slight discrepancies with definitions in main text as sections become updated. (Last revised: v2.15).
- A GOAL names an ideal future outcome, and requires a PLAN to intentionally achieve it. ([c2.38][Core Concepts])
- A PLAN comprises WORDS that facilitate your GOAL. ([c2.44][Core Concepts])
- A COST is what’s materially required for GOALs–an amount and kind of FORCE. ([c2.49][Core Concepts])
- FOOD is the necessary and sufficient material to satisfy these needs. (c2.56)
- CAKE is all non-FOOD GOALs. (c2.57)
- SELF is the GOAL to MAINTAIN HABIT, ideally to maximize BET outcomes. (c2.58)
- HOME is the collection of tools, materials and money (which support HABITs). (c2.59)
- PRI is management of the GOALS in your life (and common themes therein). ([c3.33][Attention and time])
- PPL are different VERSIONs of each others’ PRI (WRITER and READER are different, too).(c4.1)
- TIME is the constant (or denominator) for PRI and FORCES (LIB and MEMORY). ([c3.38][Attention and time])
- MONEY is traded for maintenance of, or insurance for SELF and CAKE. (c4.09)
- WORK is performing a specific task on a collective garden for MONEY. (c4.10)
- NORMS are the “average” person’s HABITs, including WORK and CHUD. (c4.13)
- A FORCE is any cause of change including actions. (c4.20)
- MAINTENANCE is any recurring COST to neither move toward nor away from a GOAL. (c4.21)
- An ALIGNMENT is a reduced COST due to a FORCE shared between at least two GOALs. (c4.22)
- A relationship (RLTP) is a GOAL about PPL. (c4.23)
- A BET is a PLAN that leverages TIME against CHUD to facilitate GOALs or a REALITY check. (c5.28)
- CHUD is an acronym for assessing the reality of GOALs: COSTs, HABITs, UNKNOWNs and DOUBTs. (c5.41)
- A HABIT is the historical average of your actions and their by-products.([c5.43][COSTs and HABITs])
- An UNKNOWN is a FORCE (especially out of your CONTROL) that makes your PLAN wrong.([c5.44][UNKNOWNs and DOUBTs])
- A DOUBT is a source of predictable or nameable UNKNOWN, for example, “denial” or “anxiety”. ([c5.48][UNKNOWNs and DOUBTs])
- A STUDENT is a WRITER sacrificing TIME for concentrated REVISION of their PRIs. (c6.15)
- A READER is a WRITER studying their own reaction to and potential use of others’ PLANs. (c6.39)
- A WRITER invests TIME and energy to map feelings onto WORDS. ([c6.64][WRITE PLAN])
- An INSTRUCTOR advises and enforces STUDENTs’ BETs on PLANs (c6.73)
- A WORD is a BET for simulating (direct attention to) truth (reality) or falsehood (fantasy). ([c7.20][WORD as BET])
- An EXAMPLE is an individual, particular event or object of reality. ([c7.45][EXAMPLE and IDEA])
- A USE-CASE is an EXAMPLE with consequence (vs HYPE). ([c7.45][EXAMPLE and IDEA])
- A HYPE (hypothetical/hype) is an EXAMPLE in-principle (vs USE-CASE).([c7.45][EXAMPLE and IDEA])
- A LINK is a WORD that relates at least two EXAMPLES, IDEAS, or describes ACTIONS, ROLES, and transformations. ([c7.46][EXAMPLE and IDEA])
- An IDEA is a set of criteria that LINKs EXAMPLEs as similar (vs not). ([c7.46][EXAMPLE and IDEA])
- A PLAN is a BET on a winning arrangement of WORDS that result in the GOAL. ([c7.23][WORD as BET])
- A SCIENTIST BETs new CONTENT against the UNKNOWN, evaluated for their net gain for NORMs. ([c7.47][ROLE Scientist])
- A RESEARCHER is a SCIENTIST WRITER, a data-collector and hypothesis tester. ([c7.48][ROLE Scientist])
- A SCHOLAR is a SCIENTIST READER, curating toward theory development and COMM. ([c7.49][ROLE Scientist])
- A LESSON is an ordered set of prompts, usually three to four, up to 60 minutes.(c8.19)
- A NOTE is a general PLAN for REVISION. (Available on request.) ([c8.33][NOTES and PEERs])
- A RECIPE is a DOC format that PRIs CONTENT (IDEAS and LINKS) over STYLE. ([c8.37][DOC types])
- COMM is the exchange of WORDS between PPL. (c9.45)
- VERSIONs are variations of STYLE on a identical CONTENT, implicitly in temporal order. ([c9.61][PRIs differ])
- A PLAN for a DOC is an earlier VERSION of the (same) final DOC. ([c9.62][PRIs differ])
- PITCH is DOC STYLE for why to READ. ([c9.65][NORMs STYLE])
- This is an early copy of Skilled Reflection, and much of it is still in development. Thank you for your patience. I welcome any and all constructive feedback (firstname.lastname@example.org). Check back later for a revised and updated version.
When I first set out to write SR as a book I quickly realized a problem could hang me up forever, both simple and superficial.
It is the problem of what order to present the information, so that its truth is easily learnable and most evident.
In Version 1 of this book, I deliberately set aside this problem, in order to name and contain the system of thinking.
Version 2 takes the first step in remediation by streamlining all essential terms and links of the system into a shared frame, called “the Garden” (introduced in version one). Even still, in this respect version 2 is only a working prototype at best.
I pen this Forward at the advent of betting my life on Version 3 (2022-08-30). I cannot promise if / when it will surface, but if you are curious, do not wait. You can find Version 3 already here, between the lines and at their intersections.